Our clients owned a simple 1890’s farmhouse, which had been compromised by insensitive additions from the 1920’s and 1950’s. They wanted to take the original house back to its basic shape and add in a way that would not mimic or detract from the original form. We removed all the additions, taking the house back to its simplest form. The new living room, porch and mudroom additions are distinct, separated from the main house by 4' glass connectors. Locating additions at the back of the house allowed the original façade to remain intact. The rear façade is opened up to the view and new terrace. A new stone wall crosses the front and wraps around to the back, framing the house and additions. The screen porch extends over the lower yard, which blends into the meadows.Inside, exposed wood beams define the new open spaces. Although 300 square feet smaller, the new house feels much larger than the original.
Builder: Hands-On Construction / Photographer: Warren Jagger